Wednesday, December 22, 2010

oh christmas tree...

Patrick has always dreamed of having a giant Christmas tree. This year that dream came true. Our apartment has a 12 ft ceiling in the living room so before we had even finished unpacking we bought a 12+ ft tree.  Shopping for a tree here was very different. I knew we wouldn't be going to the same tree stand that we have bought our trees from for forever but I did not expect to be shopping at the Houston Garden Center ( think Frank's Nursery ). It was kind of like buying a tree at Home Depot. There aren't corner tree lots here. When we arrived at the Garden Center a little girl ran past us into the rows of giant trees, packed so close together that you could not see their shape, yelling, "Look at all the big ones.... I want one, I want one!" I know Patrick was thinking the same thing. We brought our huge Christmas tree home inside our little Honda CRV. It stuck out of the back a little and it was pushed in all the way to the dash but we got it home.  We learned an important lesson... 2 people should not put a 12 ft tree up by themselves. A third person is needed to ensure that the tree is straight. It was definitely not. 




The next morning I intended to put lights on the tree while Patrick was at work. That didn't happen. I had no way of reaching the top. I borrowed Mom's step ladder but that didn't get me anywhere near the top of the tree. Patrick and I had to go to Lowes and buy an 8ft ladder. While Patrick worked I spent a few hours putting 800 lights on the tree and I probably could have done more.




Then we had Mom come up to us to get the tree straight and help decorate it. It took us a few days but the end result was worth it.





signature 1

No comments:

Post a Comment