Tuesday, November 9, 2010

the quilt festival

After a weekend spent running around Houston like crazy it was time for some fun. I was so excited to go to the quilt show. I have wanted to go for so long. I had my supplies all packed up the night before and I was up before the sun without complaining. On Monday and Tuesday I spent my days in classes. When I was checking in I told the woman behind the desk that it was my first show and I was more excited than a kid a Christmas. She was so sweet she gave me a ribbon for my badge and gave me lots of helpful hints to make the most of the festival.





Monday morning was the 2 for 1 Hula lesson class where we learned to cut a Hawaiian quilt. It is much like making paper snow flakes. I also learned a better way to machine applique. Yeah!





My Hawaiian quilt has palm trees on it, this one is the sample from the class. I will share a photo when I get it appliqued ( which by the way is also when it is quilted. The applique acts as the quilting. Double Yeah!)


  My practice machine applique.



On Monday afternoon I took a class that taught how to emboss bamboo quilt batting. If I did more scrap booking I would do a lot of this. It was very fun to learn but I am not sure it is something I would do a lot of. (The finished product will cover a book.)






Tuesday I took an all day class on paper piecing.  I think I am going to be hooked. Paper Piecing is a wonderful way to create very intricate quilts. I started the tree skirt in the class and I am hoping to finish it before Thanksgiving. I also bought a kit for a paper pieced quilt.  The instructor was a wonderful lady named Deb Karasik. If you interested in paper piecing, need patterns or tools or just want to see some beautiful quilts take a look at her wed site.



(tree skirt in progress)


One of the best parts of an all day class is the time they allow you to get to know the others in the class. I made a new friend. Marika came all the way from Sweden to visit the quilt festival. She quilts and is interested in starting her own fiber arts business making handbags.  Not only did we spend a day taking a class together but we were able to get together later in the week too.

Me and Marika ( taken by the valet )


Next time I will show you some of the extraordinary quilts!!!



signature 1

No comments:

Post a Comment